January 17, 2013

Avocado & Scrambled Egg Breakfast Sandwich

When I interned in Washington, D.C. last year, there was a Corner Bakery in Union Station that I discovered "happened to be" on my way to work. I worked pretty close to The Hill, so my 25 minute walk to work usually involved dodging big crowds of rush hour "rushers." I usually had my morning scheduled the same each day: get ready, eat breakfast, power walk to work (emphasis on the power walking... I was almost always in a rush!) But there were days when I would leave an extra 20 minutes early so I could wait in the long line to get a breakfast pannini at the Corner Bakery.

The amazing part about this place was everything was prepared right before your eyes; there were no egg patties pulled out of a container-- the eggs were scrambled right then and put on your sandwich for you. It's no surprise that I attempted to re-create this myself. While it doesn't taste exactly like the one I devoured about three times a month in Union Station, it's pretty close!



Avocado & Scrambled Egg Breakfast Sandwich (makes enough for one sandwich)

- 2 slices of wheat or sourdough bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 T milk (I used skim, but any type would be fine)
- 1 1/2 T chopped chives
- 2 T grated cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of avocado
- 2 T butter
- 3 slices of cooked bacon
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper to taste

Lightly butter one side of both slices of bread and place--butter side down--into a pan on low-medium heat. Add cheese, avocado, tomato, and bacon, distributed however you like on the bread (right now it will look like an open-faced sandwich). Meanwhile, scramble milk and salt/pepper with eggs in a bowl. Heat skillet/pan on medium heat with a slice of butter. Mix chopped chives in to scrambled egg mix and pour into pan to start scrambling. Once your eggs are scrambled, place them on the toast in your other pan and close the sandwich to cook. This is where the pannini maker comes in, but since I don't yet own one, I cooked the sandwich like I would a grilled cheese sandwich, pressing down with a spatula. After the cheese is melted and you're left with a gooey, melted inside, (and a toasted inside) it's ready to serve!

8 comments:

  1. YUM. Why have I never had one of these? I go through Union Station every single morning. Note to self, leave earlier. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a must-try! I hope you had a great time at the inauguration today!

      Delete
  2. looks delish :)

    http://my-cup-oftea.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm this looks like a perfect breakfast! Btw I just found your blog through the guest post that you did for Preppy Love - which was great! :)

    Abi Jane
    {lillylimes.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dying over this recipe! Can't wait to try it. . .

    XO

    AnnaElizabeth
    annaelizabethlifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete