January 16, 2013

Pay your lips service

Besides Aveeno body lotion, my chapstick is my best friend when it comes to beauty products in the winter. When I was younger, I didn't pay much attention to taking care of my lips in cold weather. I'd always been adamant about using gobs of lotion on my body, but nowadays I take care to make sure my lips are just as moisturized. With a couple of products you probably already have at home, you can make your own lip exfoliant to use year-round, or just during the cold months. Here's how to make it, along with a few other products I always have on hand to avoid dryness.


Use a spoon or your fingers to spread a small amount over your lips, and gently rub in a circular motion. Repeat until lips are smooth and buttery, and then wipe off with a tissue. 

Brown sugar: acts as the exfoliant
Honey: a natural cleanser/anti-bacterial
Olive oil: moisturizes dryness


For easy storage, I used an old make-up sample dish from Nordstrom


My favorite lip products:

Vaseline Lip Therapy Cocoa Butter: This tiny jar of vaseline is about the size of quarter and is the cutest thing. I used to always use regular vaseline on my lips, but the cocoa butter is even better, with a sweet, chocolatey taste.

Burt's Bees Grapefruit Lip Balm: Burt's Bees gets even better with this grapefruit flavored chapstick. The labeling does not lie, this balm feels very refreshing on your lips. A definite must-try for those who love grapefruit.

Thymes Essentials Lip Balm with SPF 15: Although I'd never heard of the brand, I picked up this chapstick when I was in Las Vegas this summer, and I can honestly say it does an even better job than Burt's Bees in the winter. It lasts for hours and makes the most driest lips instantly moisturized.

Perfumeria Gal Madrid in Apple: I've had this little jar of lip balm for years, and it smells amazing. Imported from Spain, its like putting scented Vaseline on your lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment